AP Computer Science A Online
9 - 13
FLVS - Florida Virtual School Global
The AP® Computer Science A online course is equivalent to the first semester of a college level computer science course. The course involves developing the skills to write programs or part of programs to correctly solve specific problems. AP® Computer Science A also emphasizes the design issues that make programs understandable, adaptable, and when appropriate, reusable. At the same time, the development of useful computer programs and classes is used as a context for introducing other important concepts in computer science, including the development and analysis of algorithms, the development and use of fundamental data structures, and the study of standard algorithms and typical applications. In addition an understanding of the basic hardware and software components of computer systems and the responsible use of these systems are integral parts of the course.
Major topical areas include:
- the concepts of computer science
- program control constructs
- use of arrays and strings
- class methods
- object-oriented design and programming concepts
- creating and modifying classes
- understanding existing designs and code
- the use of sorting and searching algorithms
- use of standard Java class libraries
Highly qualified instructors guide students through online lectures, readings, forum discussions, design and programming exercises, project assignments, and other resources. Student knowledge is assessed through homework assignments, projects, and exams.
Please note that the curriculum in this course requires students to download software to complete programming projects, and this program is not compatible with Chromebooks. Students attempting to complete this course should use a compatible device and not a Chromebook.
Study materials (e-books, Discovery Education, etc. ...) for FLVS Global courses are INCLUDED in the price of the course.
About a course with CSA bot
Enter your name:
Hello Jarda! I am the CSA bot! Do you want to learn something about programming? (Yes/No)
Good! This is the right place for you! Do you have any prior experience with programming? (Yes/No)
Never mind! This course starts with the basics in the understandable way suited for begginers. No worries though, if it seems too simple from the start (or if you have already done some programming before), it gets more challenging later. Hence this course is suitable for every mind that likes to learn something new effectively and likes to feel the satisfaction after cracking the challenges waiting in the modules of the course!
Jarda, do you have any other question? Choose one:
- What programming language will I be learning?
- What I’ll know after finishing the course?
The basic concepts of computer science, programming designs, how to write algorithms (e.g. sorting algorithms) and more importantly, you’ll know how to think critically as a programmer. Even if you won’t pursue a career of a programmer, this will ease your further studies, e.g. do you need to process physics lab data using complicated formulas and print the results into neatly designed text output? Easy! The course will open the doors to the vast world of computer science for you and it will lay the critical foundations that will help you to orientate in more complicated programming concepts.
Jarda, do you have any other question?
- What programming language will I be learning?
You’ll be learning Java. Java is a powerful object-oriented programming language. But it’s not that important what programming language you learn. More important is to learn the concept of programming itself, how to use variables, how to algorithmize etc.
Jarda, now you know everything, so why don’t jump right in?
- The goals of the AP Computer Science course are comparable to those in the introductory sequence of courses for computer science majors offered in college and university computer science departments. Students completing the AP Computer Science course will be able to:
- Design and implement computer-based solutions to problems in a variety of application areas.
- Use and implement commonly-used algorithms and data structures.
- Develop and select appropriate algorithms and data structures to solved problems.
- Code fluently in an object-oriented paradigm using the programming language Java. Students will be familiar with and be able to use standard Java library classes from the AP Java subset.
- Read and understand a large program consisting of several classes and interacting objects. Students will be able to read and understand a description of the design and development process leading to a program such as the AP Computer Labs.
- Identify the major hardware and software components of a computer system, their relationship to one another, and the roles of these components within the system.
- Recognize the ethical and social implications of computer use. This course spans 32 weeks requiring a minimum of 10 hours per week to read lessons and complete 70 programming assignments, 12 written assignments, four oral quizzes, and eight exams.
Recommended course sequence:
Introduction to Programming in Scratch - Start with Coding - Coding –– Foundations of Programming – Procedural Programming – AP Computer Science A – AP Computer Science Principles
Syllabus AP Computer Science A
For this course you need to secure the following textbook and materials (if lab kit is listed, check first the possibility of using your school lab prior to buying the lab kit):
|Java, BlueJ||Software||free download|
|IMACS Java Programming||e-Book||included in the price of the course|
|IMACS Be prepared for APCSP Exam in Java||e-Book||included in the price of the course|
course fee: 613,- EUR / 14 960,- Kč
AP Computer Science A jsem si zvolil, protože mě programování zajímalo už od prvních let na gymnáziu. Tento kurz mě jednoduše a zábavnou formou dokázal naučit základy programování v jazyce Java, které používám dodnes. Instruktorka byla velmi příjemná, podporovala i ve studiu nad rámec kurzu a na jakékoliv dotazy ihned odpovídala. Trochu jsem se bál, jestli tomu budu rozumnět, když bude všechno v angličtině, ale nakonec to nebylo tak téžké a moje jazykové schopnosti se díky kurzu také mnohem zlepšily a byly tím poloeny základy pro moje následné studium v Anglii. Celkově jsme si kurz moc užil a byla to výborná zkušenost. Nakonec děkuji CTM, že tyto kurzy poskytuje, a také mojí škole, která přispívala na náklady kurzu a díky které jsem se o CTM dozvěděl.
Adam K., 2021